Thursday, February 10, 2011

Part III: Prosposal

After reading Charolette Cotton's "Physical Material" I am really interested in playing with the physicality of the objects displayed in the original photographs. I have two ideas to approach the task of incorporating a physical elements, both include installing a video into the bottom of a suitcase. I chose a suitcase because there are several meanings for the use and significance of a suitcase. I want to play up the mystery of the character from the original image, I want viewer to question why this woman is emotional, what is her story, and what is her relation to us as the audience. This film will be for the most part silent but I am contemplating adding music because I do not want the music to become the focal point of the video.

My second idea is to create video that captures the motion of walking, capture the legs of the subject walking, this will symbolize her journey and continue the story that was created in the original images. For this piece I think the audio will derive from the footsteps of the subject.
At this point I am not too sure which direction I will take because I need to figure out how to approach the content of the films because I think if I am projecting images into a suitcase I need to know why I am doing it and what the significances and benefits are from projected imagery. For both of these ideas the content of the film is very important. In order for this to be successful I need to answer these questions because it could easily turn into "why can this not go onto a white wall?" and what significance the suitcase has to me as the artist and audience?

While I was inspired by Jeff Wall for the original images, I was interested in the style and approach of Sarah VanDerBeek because she incorporated sculptural elements to alter the presentation and audience interaction of the piece. Based on her style both the suitcase and video are the sculptural or physical elements which create a relationship between the existing space, recreated (confined) space, the audience, and the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment