Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Assignment to Myself

For my assignment to myself I would like to continue some of the same concepts and themes of the last project. I would like to make some of the settings more elaborate with inanimate objects and find locations that have unique architectural elements. As well as focus on the techniques of portraiture, I want to capture these subjects in a way that will create a varying narrative. I would like to continue to research the work of Jeff Wall and artists who do similar installations.
Although I am adopting many of the same techniques from the last series, I have to raise some questions about the concept and subject matter. As far as subject matter I am trying to figure out if I should stick to women as my subjects, to continue the isolated, mysterious themes of their characters, or do I incorporate men into the narratives. I am unsure because I know with using a male subject, the narrative becomes somethings else, there are undertones of masculinity and for this project I am not speaking to male masculinity, however I do think it would be interesting to use men and create a similar sense of vulnerability and uncertainty. I think it would be interesting to play around with both ideas and decide when the images are placed into a collection.

I do not want to limit myself to a specific number because I feel like this subject matter and approach can be stretched to a limitless amount of images. The series will feel complete when the collection speaks for what I am trying to address.

I want to continue this project because I had so much fun with it in the last series and I feel like the project can be pushed forward. Of course I am worried about the series becoming repetitive in nature but with location and subject changes I do not think the viewer will become bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment