Friday, March 25, 2011

Matthew Barney

This article was very informative on the work of Matthew Barney. Above all, I was intrigued by his past. He was an avid athlete and attended Yale for school, his past seems traditional however, his creations are from that. From his past, he adds his athletic ability to his work. Barney has accomplished so much in the art world as a 36 year old, it is quite impressive that most of his work is in video form ( ex: the cremaster series) His work is very sexual and he often uses himself as a model. I find his work to be a bit strange and even uncomfortable. I believe that his work pushes the boundaries, but I really do enjoy his use of costumes and dress, this reminded me a lot of Cindy Sherman. It is evident that Barney and his team plans every thing out to the minute. He has a whole team behind him who care about the art he is making and are passionate about his many projects. As a viewer, I am not quite sure what he is saying but it is fun to explore works of artists who don't follow the normal beat and path.

No comments:

Post a Comment